Think about an argument or disagreement that you wish you could have handled differently. What happened, what was your goal, and what would you do differently now? Use at least one idea from Chapters 1–3 of Thank You for Arguing in your response.
Prompt: An argument that I wish I would have handled differently was when I was fighting with my dad about hanging out with one of my friends. We were arguing about how my friend and I were going to meet up, and he felt like I was making him make the plans for me. My friend and I were planning on our families meeting for dinner so that she could come back over to my house, and I had asked my dad to text her mom to see if that would work for them. He had told me that I should be the one figuring this out and we went back and forth yelling at each other to try and get our point across. It turns out that there was a miscommunication if we had stepped back and talked calmly we would have figured that out, but instead we both wanted to be right and it ended up poorly for both of us. If I could do things differently I would have made sure we were both on the same page instead of just assuming because that could have prevented the whole situation.
Summary: Today in class we read and discussed Thank You for Arguing.
Reflection: We read Thank You for Arguing and discussed the different points the passages talk about for effectively persuading someone and how to handle arguments. The book helped me understand the different tactics of arguing and how to not turn an argument into a fight.
Comments
Post a Comment